Salty, sweet, crunchy around the edges and crumbly in the middle – these Pretzel Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are the perfect tea-time treat!
In the biscuit world, shortbread ranks pretty highly for me. Its probably one of the simplest biscuits to make and in my opinion, one of the most delicious! It also lends itself well to a whole world of different additions! On the blog already I have a dark chocolate and hazelnut version – a personal fave. But I wanted to make these simpler, a perfect afternoon bake that you can be enjoying with a cup of tea within the hour.
Salt and sweet is a classic combination. Bacon & maple syrup, ham & pineapple, feta & watermelon andddd of course; pretzels & chocolate. Now usually I go for a dark chocolate in cookies or shortbread, but as I was going for the salty/sweet combo I decided to use milk chocolate instead.
How to make pretzel chocolate shortbread cookies:
Shortbread dough is extremely simple. Just butter, sugar and flour. It also comes together super quickly and you’ll only need one bowl. The perfect recipe, am I right?! As always though, even with a simple recipe I have some tips to make your life easier:
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature. You need to cream the butter and sugar together, and it won’t combine well if your butter is hard.
- Generously flour your work surface when you’re rolling out your dough. It is a pretty wet dough, and this makes your life much easier.
- Only re-roll your dough a few times. The more you roll the tougher your shortbread cookies are going to be, and you wont get that delicious crumbly texture you’re after.
- Finally, make sure you don’t skip the chilling time. This will stop your cookies from spreading in the oven!
I love the combination of pretzel and chocolate – I make candy pretzel rods at Christmas! It’s maybe not such a big thing over here in the UK, than it is in the US, so if you haven’t tried it before I urge you to give it a go!
These cookies are salty, sweet, crunchy around the edges and crumbly in the middle. The cookie for tea dunking! I really hope you like them 🙂
On with the recipe!
Pretzel Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- 125 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 55 g caster sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 180 g plain flour
- 100 g milk chocolate
- 25 g pretzels
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 190C/170C/Gas Mark 5 and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Then add the flour and mix until it resembles a rough lumpy dough. Then, finely chop the chocolate and pretzels and mix in to the dough. It may be easier to squeeze the dough together with your hands to get the final chunks of chocolate and pretzel mixed in.
- Generously flour your worksurface and roll the dough out until 1cm thick. Then using a 6cm cookie cutter, cut out 16 rounds. Try not to re-roll the dough too many times while doing this. Place the cookie rounds onto your prepared baking tray, and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes. Then sprinkle each cookie dough generously with caster sugar, then place in the oven to bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Once baked, sprinkle with a little more sugar and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.