For the last in my edible gift series, I give you candy pretzel rods! Probably the most American sounding and tasting treat on my blog, its the perfect combination of salty and sweet. I’ve seen these on Pinterest for a few years now, but have never been able to find pretzel rods in the UK – until now! I found them in Whole Foods a few weeks back and was sooo excited! You absolutely could make these just by dipping regular shaped pretzels, but I just think the rods look so cute.
I feel abit of a fraud calling this baking, when its literally just melting some chocolate and dipping the rods. But that does make it the perfect lazy afternoon bake, especially with kids in tow! I decided to just stick to milk chocolate and white candy melts, though with candy melts or even food colouring you could really go to town! Red & green pretzel rods would look super festive!
For the decorations I bought festive sprinkles and shapes, but again you could coat them in anything you fancied! The American pretzel rods that I’d seen on pinterest are sometimes covered in M&M’s and all kinds of small candy, but I could only find thin rods and they looked a little ridiculous! Please do let me know if you happen to find fatter pretzel rods though, the possibilities would then be endless!
The salty pretzel rod perfectly complements the sweet chocolate coating, making these ridiculously moreish. You can easily eat 3-4 in one go without really thinking! And as they’re only small, and it is Christmas you definitely don’t need to feel guilty about it.
Wrapped up with some twine and popped in a treat bag I think the pretzel rods are such a cute treat, and they look so festive! I also love that in the UK its not such a traditional sweet, making them all the more interesting and unique.
Let me know if you make them!
Edible Christmas Gifts: Candy Pretzel Rods
- 2 packs of pretzel rods
- 250 g milk chocolate
- 250 g white candy melts or white chocolate
- 4 packs of festive sprinkles
- Firstly, lay all the sprinkles flat onto separate plates and lay a large sheet of baking paper onto a flat surface.
- Break the milk chocolate up into small pieces and place into a heat-proof bowl. Then put the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring every now and then until the chocolate is melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and individually dip half of the pretzel rods into the chocolate, then roll in the sprinkles to completely coat. Place onto the baking paper to set and repeat until all of the milk chocolate is used.
- Then, place the white candy melts into a heat-proof bowl and melt like the milk chocolate. Dip the remaining pretzel rods into the candy melts and roll in the sprinkles to completely coat. Then place onto the baking paper to set.
- Leave the pretzel rods to set for 30 minutes, before keeping in an air-tight container or wrapping in twine and placing in treat bags to gift.