I’m finally back in the blogging world – huzzah!! What with moving, having no internet for a month and the craziness of the festive period; blogging has had to take a back seat! I’m back with a good un’ though in the form of Salted Caramel & Chocolate Cupcakes – I mean, is there a better combination??
This is such a decadent treat, its perfect for the over-indulging that’s bound to happen this Christmas. It’s also really simple to make whilst still looking pretty professional – the perfect treat to serve your guests!
The chocolate cupcakes are deliciously rich and very chocolatey considering the small amount of cocoa powder. The buttermilk keeps the cake nice and moist even though it is on the slightly denser side. I found they baked perfectly to time too!
But the frosting, now thats the real star of the show. Its’s just so damn good. I had to restrain myself from eating it out of the bowl!! Its deliciously thick, and so salty – its basically what dreams are made of. Its really simple to make, and if you start making it while the cupcakes are still in the oven the 15 minute cool time doesn’t seem long at all!
I added about 2-3 additional tablespoons of double cream to thin the frosting a little when mixing, so I could pipe it onto the cupcakes. Its a pretty versatile recipe and you can make it as thin/thick or salty as you want!
For the decorations I used Lily O’Brien’s Salted Caramel Chocolates and they were amazing!! Though a tadge expensive I admit…the pretty packaging drew me in!
Anyway, I think I’ve said the word caramel enough now…on with the recipe!
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Cupcakes
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 95 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g packed light brown sugar
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml buttermilk room temperature
- 115 g salted butter
- 200 g packed dark brown sugar
- 80 ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240-360 g icing sugar
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
- Salted Caramel Chocolates
- For the cupcakes: Firstly, pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180C and line muffin tins with 12 cases.
- Whisk the cocoa powder, flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl until combined, then set aside. In a medium bowl; whisk the eggs, caster sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry, and then half of the buttermilk. Whisk gently, then add the remaining wet ingredients and the buttermilk. Whisk until just combined - the batter will be a little thin!
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases about two thirds full each and bake for 18-21 minutes. Once baked, put the muffins onto a wire rack to completely cool.
- For the frosting: Melt the butter in a small pan. Once melted add the sugar and cream, stirring constantly over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the salt, and allow the caramel to bubble for three minutes full minutes. The remove from the heat, and allow to slightly cool - roughly around 15 minutes. Do not place in the fridge!
- Using a hand mixer, beat the powdered sugar in a few cups at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Add a little more cream if you'd like the frosting thinner, and add more salt if desired.
- Pipe the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes and add sea salt flakes/chocolate decorations as you wish!